Last updated on 22 April 2022

If you are not married or in a civil partnership, who must declare the children on your tax return?

When a couple living in a household without being married/partnered have one or more children of their own, then the common child is deemed to be part of the household of the taxpayer who received the first payment of child benefit. 
If the child is in receipt of a state grant for higher education or volunteer aid, or if no grant or aid has been awarded, the joint children are deemed to be part of the household of the parent who, in the previous tax year, benefited from the child benefit.



Other questions & answers in this category

Try out now!

Sign-up for free

Create an account, complete your return and simulate your tax refund!

Cookies help us provide this service. By using this website, you agree to us setting cookies. More information